Saturday, February 20, 2016

Review: Rat Catching

Rat Catching Rat Catching by Crispin Hellion Glover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Surrealism! What is Surrealism? In my opinion, it is above all a reawakening of the poetic idea in art, the reintroduction of the subject but in a very particular sense, that of the strange and illogical. (Paul Delvaux)


this is a surrealist reassembly of the 1896 memoir/guide book/paean to rat-catching Studies in the art of rat-catching of Henry C. Barkley.

“As beautiful as the chance encounter of a sewing machine and an umbrella on an operating table.” 
― Comte de LautrĂ©amont

it recalls to me the thoughts of Delvaux and the Comte. But, there's also a nagging feeling a beautifully quaint and obsessive autobiography is merely presented in marred form... but then i greatly enjoyed the reading. Is all the taxidermy in the original? now, I want to try my hand at reengineering and envisioning anew a curious 19th century tome..

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...