Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Review: The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this fast-paced adventure reportage where the author that wowed me with The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness & Obsession pulled me into the zeal for Z as he fell prey as had hundreds others to tracking Percy Fawcett into Xingu and the remotest Amazon with its harried and violent natives. Fawcett's life story, as is known, with that of his steadfast wife and sons is interwoven with Grann's sleuthing from archives to the Amazon and the tales of cranks and explorers alike. The real tale that emerges is interesting but not as intriguing as the archeological evidence for how true, if unobtainable for Fawcett, Z may have been. Now I must read The Ecology of Power: Culture, Place and Personhood in the Southern Amazon, Ad 1000 2000.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...