Sunday, February 14, 2016

Review: Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction

Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction by Morton D. Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read that Douglas R. Hofstadter called this work a “lucid and penetrating development of game theory that will appeal to the intuition,” I knew I wanted to read this overview of "the study of mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between intelligent rational decision-makers”, as Roger B. Myerson defined game theory. Published originally in 1970, the reprinted classic looks back to the foundations of game theory laid by John von Neumann. Von Neumann’s basic minimax theorem, proved in 1928, is core to Chapter 2 on two-person, zero-sum games. Being a nontechnical introduction, proof and a good detail of mathematical mechanics are foregone to get a high-level view of the properties of this technique as an applied art and its many applications to social, economic, and political problems...

[Look for my entire review up at MAA Reviews]



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...