Sunday, January 24, 2016

Review: The Job: True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop

The Job: True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop The Job: True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop by Steve Osborne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an interesting read: a NYC cop memoir. It is an easy read, with chapters focuses on a single topic or case. This feels chronological: rookie to sergeant to lieutenant to retired. While much true crime focuses on singular, unique, or extreme cases, this work brings to light the day-to-day work of patrolling the streets: drug dealers, domestic abuse, muggers. The author brings in his own life experience and feelings adding depth to what would merely be reportage. The penultimate chapter I found the most affecting, detailing the death of his dog. Maybe this hit me even more than the final chapter on 9/11 since I just saw the Laurie Anderson documentary "The Heart of a Dog".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...