Friday, August 21, 2015

Review: Interpreting Literature: Preliminaries to Literary Judgment

Interpreting Literature: Preliminaries to Literary Judgment Interpreting Literature: Preliminaries to Literary Judgment by Kenneth Leslie Knickerbocker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This college lit textbook contains fiction, poetry, drama, lyrics, essays and more. It sat unread and idle on my father's bookshelf, a once required course item, until I picked it up. Poetry of Frost, Crane, Shakespeare, and Poe and also treating the Paul Simon lyric to "Sound of Silence" as poetry made of me a lifelong fan of this language art. Short stories like "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" container here still seem like the best of the art. The classic, The Glass Menagerie was here introduced to me here and I still love plays and theater as a result. I enjoyed the entire text initially published by Professor Knickerbocker together with Professor Willard Reninger back in 1969 by Holt. The fact that this book has stood the test of time and is still available should be testimony enough to the endurance and appeal of this lengthy introduction to the pleasures of literature.I recommend it for any one who is interested in what joys literature may hold.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...