Sunday, March 16, 2014

Review: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I really enjoyed Hathaway's performance here. She ably delivers a spectrum of voices. However, even she seems incapable of a Cowardly Lion that doesn't channel the performance of Bert Lahr. Overall I now place this brief, episodic just-so tale as one of the few times I know of a film (MGM, 1939) that I like better than the book. They trimmed the fat, like green-colored glasses and numerous petty perils, for a more succinct and successful adventure story. on movie treatments, this reading helps me understand (but not appreciate) Oz: The Great and Powerful . I understand this now as an amplification of Oz's back story and a chance to experience on screen some elements of Baum's vision that MGM chose to forgo, such as Dainty China Land. I also feel an anti-establishment undercurrent to Baum's work: would-be government functionaries can only idly talk and Dorothy's China damage is inconsequential as it is only a cow leg and a church.

Parts of the original movie that did not hold to the book I actually like better, such as the final gifts and lopping off setting up Tin Man and The Lion as kings. Also, the Tin Man's backstory is much gorier than I would have thought for such a work.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...