Friday, March 28, 2014

Review: The New Order


The New Order
The New Order by Time-Life Books

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book was almost donated to Purple Heart, but I saved it. Finally, I thought its oversized dimensions in a set of three was awkward in my library. And, how good could WWII history distilled from magazine journalism be? I decided to pull it out and, peruse it, and dispense with it. At least with this volume, I was pleasantly surprised. Like [b:The Bridge at Andau|42959|The Bridge at Andau|James A. Michener|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388899681s/42959.jpg|42402], this work charts the dramatic changes through named individuals, personalizing the heavy boot beat to war.

War is not a topic in this volume, although it looms ominously on the horizon. This work gives an overview of something I am very interested in; how Nazism took root and hold of the German nation. It took over a decade, but this book tracks the tendrils into paramilitary your organizations, encompassing once unallied farmers, the Junker landed aristocracy, labor movements and industry.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...