Monday, March 17, 2014

Review: Driving the Saudis: A Chauffeur's Tale of the World's Richest Princesses


Driving the Saudis: A Chauffeur's Tale of the World's Richest Princesses
Driving the Saudis: A Chauffeur's Tale of the World's Richest Princesses by Jayne Amelia Larson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Ably narrated by the author, the best parts of this work are her unexpected opportunities to act as accidental anthropologist. She sees the most shallow and materialistic elitism of starstruck Saudi teen princesses, the sincere religiosity of the worshipful in the group, and the kindhearted indentured North African servants attached to the anti-Semitic and chauvinistic group.

One thing that amazes me about this audiobook is the number of false starts and author audio flubs that should have been edited out. At times, I felt I was listening to the scratch version.

An interesting memoir with a very $ad ending.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...