Saturday, August 3, 2013

Review: What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences


What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences
What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences by Dana Mackenzie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Updating models for predicting the spread of epidemics by explicitly incorporating the international air traffic network and more is the subject of one fascinating article. Other articles cover a geometry based on tropical algebra (where the “Freshman’s Dream” is actually true) and advances, both robotic and theoretical, in speed-solving the basic Rubik’s cube and its variants. The topologically inclined will enjoy articles on open problems solved and conjectures proven regarding minimizing surfaces and hyperbolic manifolds.

[see my entire review at MAA Reviews]



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews