Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review: The Hobbit


The Hobbit
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Two things made my return to re-read this classic, although I didn't real need much encouragement to re-discover its charms: [1] Reading [b:J. R. R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth|77134|J. R. R. Tolkien Architect of Middle Earth|Daniel Grotta|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1219867191s/77134.jpg|841231] made want to specifically read this authortized Ballantine version that figure into the contractual story of the work outlined in that book and the corrections Tolkien made for observant readers, and [2] I am getting excited about the upcoming Peter Jackson movie!

From [1] I especially enjoyed Tolkien's kindly admission to some slight repairs and the short note that "Those who approve of courtesy (at least) to living authors" will buy this edition. Of course, that fits very well with the avuncular tone of the story-teller and his endearing creation, Bilbo Baggins the hobbit. This humble hero "blessed with a little wisdom and a little courage and considerable good luck" will be forever remembered, I hope, for his reluctant burlging, battling riddle wits with Smaug and Gollum and his resourceful and kind nature.

One small nit-picking I will make of my own: In the tunnel to Smaug's lair (Thorin's former home), Thorin spoke: "Let us try the door!" he said. "I must feel the wind on my face soon or die. I think I would rather be smashed by Smaug in the open than suffocate in here!"

Personally, I feel that the mining dwarves and certainly not their leader would have snapped first, I think it more likely Bilbo would have complained about the claustrophobic situation, as he was the perennial complainer anyway and Thorin was, basically, at his old home.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...