Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Review: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man


A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



A really successful analysis of individuation in those clumsy, awkward years of progress from teen to adult. (Part of it made me think of Napoleon Dynamite!) This is painted with a broad brush of suffocating Catholicism and institutions of learning top heavy with religion and tradition. I think Joyce could have done without much of the centrally located sermon which beyond, well, sermonizing, breaks the dream-like flow of memories abstracted.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...