Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: A Wolf at the Table


A Wolf at the Table
A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I heartily recommend Burroughs’ [b:Running With Scissors|242006|Running With Scissors|Augusten Burroughs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316137284s/242006.jpg|828773], but I do not recommend this work. I admire his innovation and passion in merging the audiobook format with a dramatic one-man show. I am sure the journey was cathartic for the author, but the weeping and roaring are over-emoting distractions in this scenery chewing amalgamation of memory, dreams, and hallucinations. The original songs are good (one is by Patti Smith), but including the full-length songs is like instead of an illustration, spreading a panorama across a chapter-size set of pages; it ruins the pace. This audiobook includes an epilogue where Burroughs delivers an overview of the unique creative process of this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...