Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Review: Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are by Carl Sagan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really admire the ambition of Sagan and Ann Druyan to embark on the multi-volume examination of the roots of humanity beginning with this tome. At times, however, I feel they could of gained in cohesion and clarity what they may have lost in breadth had they constrained themselves to a single opus. This just seems to wander at times, which makes me wonder...

However, it is a wondrous topic and the pair bring humanity down from a self-ascribed special realm closer to the animals, which are raised up. (Especially chimps and bonobos.) This was an excellent read after Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? which is a slimmer and more concise consideration of many of the same topics using updated research.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...