Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Review: Write it When I'm Gone

Write it When I'm Gone Write it When I'm Gone by Thomas M. DeFrank
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An interesting collection of interviews and reflections on the former president with excellent narration from Scott Brick, one of my favorite narrators. DeFrank was a friendly associate from the veep days, so nothing controversial there. Here, Ford sticks by the Warren Commission findings and was too far out of Nixon circle to know of any crimes ordered by the president, though he faults Nixon for letting a sloppy cover-up appear out of inaction. In 2004 Ford openly loathed Dick Cheney and although this ardent supported of his Republican Party changed that opinion to one of respect he never stopped being a critic of the WMD premise for invading Iraq. He felt Saddam was premised himself. Ford is the only person to have served as both vice president and president without being elected to either office. Add to this being defeated by Carter in the election and not given another opportunity to try and you have the biggest regret documented here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...