Sunday, March 25, 2018

Review: The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this historical novel on the The Great Gold Robbery (not the train robbery a century later that made Ronnie Briggs famous) when on he night of 15 May 1855 gold sent from London Bridge station for Paris was swapped en route for lead. Crichton's research in the underworld economy and slang of the time make this evocative and engrossing. The (literal) years of preparation and execution make for compelling reading while it does seem that the aftermath and trials are given short shrift Now I have to see the movie based on the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...