Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Review: The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I, or course, read this masterpiece first years ago. A chance encounter at a Little Free Library with this 35th anniversary edition was an invitation to see if I would still be impressed. Silverstein offer the world wisdom and whimsy. This is rich in wisdom and the final page still hit me with a twinge of recognition of this "sad and beautiful world".

This also takes me back to a place named after a tree: The Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn in Asheville, NC. In a (too) short stay at those luxury accomodations, I met owner Peter White who had an original Silverstein drawing in the bathroom off the kitchen. Payment Shel made for backed goods to this one-time baker on Martha's Vineyard.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...