Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Review: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This "Definitive Edition" is as complete as possible and unabridged for the negative characterizations of the other seven identified annex dwellers as well as the bisexual sexual musings. It is time we can and should treat this memoir reverently, as the Holocaust primary source that it is.

Narration is very well done by Selma Blair.

Anne Frank who wrote the following entry in her diary on 5 April 1944:

Dearest Kitty,

For a long time now I didn’t know why I was bothering to do any schoolwork. The end of the war still seemed so far away, so unreal, like a fairy tale. If the war isn’t over by September, I won’t go back to school, since I don’t want to be two years behind…

I finally realised that I must do my schoolwork to keep from being ignorant, to get on in life, to become a journalist, because that’s what I want! I know I can write…

I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!


Despite the cruel and bitter fate of being among the last death camp internees and victims (as were seven of the eight), Anne did succeed in writing for the world.

Anne's insight, analysis and even self-analysis is a door open into a the life of a girl individuating as well as the life of a hidden away Jew in WW II. This includes the daily struggles for sustenance as well as interpersonal conflicts and cabin fever and accommodating cats. (The The Van Daan family had a cat named Mouschi. The cat belonged to 15 year-old Peter. Boche was the office cat.) The enclave has to deal with work going on in the working and adjacent warehouse as well as burglaries in the societal breakdown attendant to German occupation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...