Sunday, June 25, 2017

Review: Fashion In The Time Of Queen Elizabeth I

Fashion In The Time Of Queen Elizabeth I Fashion In The Time Of Queen Elizabeth I by Melinda Camber Porter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This impressively illustrated school essay written by an 8-year-old girl around the 1960's hints at the genius and insight contained within her. The covers feature period photographs of Melinda Camber Porter looking to the side in an attitude that suggests to me the "old soul." The interesting and perceptive survey of Elizabethan dress among nobles and peasants is expanded with introductory material and a one-page glossary. Additional pages of fascimiles of the young students merits and awards seems to take this away from apprenticeship in letters to a "baby book". I would appreciated a bit more of how this interest may have echoed in her later journalism and poetry as well as explanation of such sartorial asides as kersey cloth so I could at least have at hand the extensive subject matter expertise as the young scholar.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...