Friday, September 16, 2016

Review: John Adams

John Adams John Adams by David McCullough
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is at least my second time enjoying this found father's biography. It is such an amazing arc of life to go from Declaration signer, to ambassador, to president, to seeing his son elected president and thus putting a formal close the Founding Fathers' era, and the finally to expire on the jubilee Independence Day. That is also the day of Jefferson's death who Adams reached out to and repaired their friendship also thereby gifting us with that glittering correspondence.

On this reading, much of life of that era stood out to me, like Adams' daughter Nabby enduring a 25-minute mastectomy in the family home "in that day before anesthetics".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews