Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him


Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him
Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him by David Henry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Authors David and Joe Henry have written part analysis, part hagiography of the comedic great. Much is made of the tragedy of Pryor, but they emphasise more the impact and pioneering aspect of his humour as well as the work he put into perfecting delivery and content of his stunning rants and transformations on stage. I think they ably support their premise that Pryor was an innovative comic genius battling racism as well as not shying away from self-destructive behavior. This has made me pull out my Laff Records sides for further review and appreciation.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews