Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Review: My Lobotomy: A Memoir


My Lobotomy: A Memoir
My Lobotomy: A Memoir by Howard Dully

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Some how, I missed the popular 'Sound Portraits' episode that introduced Dully to the world. This book is an expression of all the material and coming to grips with being lobotomised through the mechanizations of a wicked step mother when he was twelve. You cannot fit all that into a 22-minute radio documentary. This goes more into detail on the written reports Mr. Freeman (I can't call him "Dr.") made on this case and how Howard took decades to rebound. Besides meeting the famous brain damager, Howard has Zelig-like brushes with others, like Napoleon Murphy Brock of The Mothers of Invention, Olympians, singer Connie Stevens, etc. Dully shows remarkable forbearance and lack of vindictiveness in what is a quest for understanding, not blame. This paperback edition has added material that includes MRI results showing his young brain compensated mightily for the damage of the ice pick assault.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...