Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Review: The Book of the Courtier

The Book of the Courtier The Book of the Courtier by Baldesar Castiglione
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

...signor Gaspar Pallavicino said: "So that our game may have the form prescribed and that we may not appear to esteem little that privilege of opposing which has been allowed us, I say that to me this nobility of birth does not seem so essential. And if I thought I was uttering anything not already known to us all, I would adduce many instances of persons born of the noblest blood who have been ridden by vices; and, on the contrary, many persons of humble birth who, through their virtue, have made their posterity illustrious. And if what you said just now is true, that there is in all things that hidden force of the first seed, then we should all be of the same condition through having the same source, nor would one man be more noble than another. But I believe that there are many other causes of the differences and the various degrees of elevation and lowliness among us. Among which causes I judge Fortune to be foremost...


lots about proper use of humor and a need for respectful politeness.

18 modesty
20,22 physically fit, athletic, and "worthy in arms"
29 eloquent good writing
30-33 Good conversationalist, eloquent, and social
36 Make a good first impression
51 Humorous without being cruel


[35] Here signor Gaspar Pallavicino replied, laughing: "As reasons to support your opinion, you cite me the doings of women, who for the most part are quite beyond the pale of reason. And if you would tell the whole truth, this man who was favored by so many women must have been a simpleton and practically worthless. For it is the way of women always to favor the worst, and like sheep to do what they see the first one do, be that for good or ill. More- over, they are so jealous among themselves that this man could have been a monster and they would still have tried to steal him away from one another."

Here many began to speak, and nearly everyone wanted to contradict signor Gasparo; but the Duchess imposed si- lence on all, and then said, laughing: "If the evil you speak of women were not so far from the truth that the uttering of it casts blame and shame on him who speaks it rather than on them, I should allow you to be answered. But I do not wish you to be cured of this bad habit by the many reasons that could be adduced to refute you, so that you may incur the direst punishment for your sin, which pun- ishment shall be the bad opinion in which all will hold you who hear you argue so."

Then messer Federico replied: "Signor Gasparo, do not say that women are so beyond the pale of reason, even if sometimes they are more moved to love by others' judg- ment than by their own; for gentlemen and many wise men often do the same. And if I may be allowed to speak the truth, you yourself, and all the rest of us here, do often and even now rely more on the opinion of others than on our own. And in proof of this, it is not long ago that certain verses were presented here as being Sannazaro's


The Magnifico laughed and said: "Signor Gasparo, you cannot help showing your ill will toward women. But, truly, I thought I had said quite enough and especially to such an audience as this; for I think there is none here who does not recognize that, as for bodily exercises, it is not seemly for a woman to handle weapons, ride, play tennis, wrestle, and do many other things that are suited to men."

Then the Unico Aretino said: "With the ancients it was the custom for women to wrestle naked with men, but we have lost that good practice, along with many others." Messer Cesare Gonzaga added: "And, in my time, I have seen women play tennis, handle weapons, ride, hunt, and engage in nearly all the exercises that a cavalier can."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: King Lear

King Lear by William Shakespeare My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews