Thursday, December 19, 2019

Review: The Medieval Reader

The Medieval Reader The Medieval Reader by Norman F. Cantor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

These selections are arranged topically and not in an overtly chronological fashion. At first, I found this off-putting. However, the march from antiquity to the verge of modernity as we know it is well-laid out in the organized building blocks. The perceptive yet not overly verbose introductions to each section and piece are together an education on key evolution of philosophy, politics, theology, etc. over the time covered. I especially liked the most microscopically focused documents: letters, contracts, diaries, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...