Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Review: My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience

My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience by Rian Malan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How to express and relate the horror, terrorism, ... gore and cruelty of the insurrections and reprisals that had the country (countries, really) "aseethe" during the '70s and '80s before the end of apartheid? Malan does a human and humble approach by edging in from family history, expounding on his journalism through the investigations of heinous murders of this time. He finds a parable in spilled blood and hope (triumphant) in a final tale of the redoubtable Neil and Creina Alcock, living lives of self-sacrifice to cross color lines in charity and sharing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...