Sunday, August 21, 2016

Review: Shakespeare: The World as Stage

Shakespeare: The World as Stage Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this look at Shakespeare and how little we truly know (our image of his face is based on completely or partially inaccurate three early depictions) and facts I had know but love recalling (Shakespeare like most Elizabethans had no consistent spelling of his name). Bryson enlarges this to telling us of life in the era, particularly amongst The Bard's peers and why we should be surprised we know as much as we do. This leads, naturally, to the myriad Who-Really-Wrote-Shakespeare conspiracy theorists (I think Jon Ronson could really treat this subject well) especially the questionable mental stability of Delia Bacon (if there isn't one, let's get a whole book on her life and delusions from May-December love to being The Holy Ghost!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...