Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Review: The Quite Remarkable Adventures of the Owl and the Pussycat

The Quite Remarkable Adventures of the Owl and the Pussycat The Quite Remarkable Adventures of the Owl and the Pussycat by Eric Idle
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I see there are later editions, which I recommend. I got my edition from Audible and it is not atypical of early Audible editions that it appears significant audio quality was lost in transfer. Here, Idle gives us his zany vision of his backstory to the poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat" by Edward Lear. This is quite grand in scope bring in an Ice Age-threatened dinosaur, an evil quasi-deity, an edible rainbow like something from Roald Dahl's Wonka all revolving around pursuit of an ambulatory tree. This is an idea recalling Monty Python: The Walking Tree of Dahomey (with David Attenborough. Other Python flavors emerge, but this is a work to entertain children of all ages, without the crude jokes and stereotypes of many a Python skit. Give me this low brow humor any idea, but stripped of that we want Idle's characteristic deloivery and enjoy the several ditties he performs but those elements are lost in shoddy sound quality.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...