Monday, November 16, 2015

Review: The Magic of Math: Solving for x and Figuring Out Why

The Magic of Math: Solving for x and Figuring Out Why The Magic of Math: Solving for x and Figuring Out Why by Arthur Benjamin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In 2010, I was intrigued and entertained by this author’s appearance and display of calculation gymnastics on The Colbert Report. In more recent years, I found his Joy of Mathematics course, a series of twenty-four half-hour lectures, rich source material for my lectures to first-year college students. I was immensely please to learn that elements of that course along with tricks of the stage used by this “mathemagician” (a title previously held by Benjamin’s inspiration Martin Gardner) were compiled into a book. The book delivers on all the promise of those two aspect of Benjamin’s talent: teacher and performer. Like Gardner, Benjamin telegraphs a joy of surprising mathematical stunts, like accurate estimates of e from one’s own phone number and the manifold discoveries waiting in Pascal’s Triangle...

[Look for my entire review at MAA Reviews]

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...