Friday, December 19, 2014

Review: Does My Suicide Vest Make Me Look Fat?: A Soldier's Year in Iraq


Does My Suicide Vest Make Me Look Fat?: A Soldier's Year in Iraq
Does My Suicide Vest Make Me Look Fat?: A Soldier's Year in Iraq by John Ready

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Ready was held a major's rank in the Army's Civil Affairs organization and so has a unique insight on post-Saddam Iraq. Much of it was spent spending Saddam's ill-gotten riches on hearts-and-finds projects around Baghdad International Airport. Ready's recollections come in short vignettes rich in wit, cynicism, and harsh reality. I don't know why he feels a need to go on for paragraphs in italics, but overall this is a good, modern military memoir.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...