Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review: Innovation on Demand: New Product Development Using TRIZ


Innovation on Demand: New Product Development Using TRIZ
Innovation on Demand: New Product Development Using TRIZ by Victor Fey

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book provides a cogent, cohesive framework for proactively going after innovation in a logical, methodical manner. The TRIZ approach grew out of mechanical engineering, and that is the main thrust here. I feel as a software engineer I benefited from reading and I think anyone that has complex, heuristic engineering tasks can. If in doubt, start with Appendix 1 which gives creator Genrikh Altshuller's motiviations and follow that with Appendix 4 "Using TRIZ in management practice."

(Interestring, Altshuller sought to build better industry out of the ashes of WWII and Stalin locked him up, the Japanese at the same time picked up Deming's ideas discarded by the U.S. and triumphed on the global stage with improved quality.)

I didn't invest the time to learn all the diagramming techniques and lingo, but found the many real-world examples instructive like engineers' koans and even entertaining.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...