Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc.


Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc.
Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc. by Howard Kaylan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I read many rock biographies and this is one of the best. It has inside scoops without mere name dropping. it is all the second and drugs without being merely salacious. Kalan's (and Volman's) camaraderie and partying with rock royalty was parlayed into longevity and pioneering roles. Still "Happy Together" over the years, I learned the group was the first to sue over sampling and also very innovative as radio talent augmented by their famous friends as guests. now I need to hear some of that! Kaylan's closeness to upper echelon rock stars provides some interesting insights. for instance, the documentary "Who is Harry Nilsson and Why is Everybody Talking About Him?" makes the Lennon - Nilsson studio screaming matches to be friendly rivalry, but Kaylan says shortly before his death Nilsson characterized the incident as cruel peer pressure that ruined his voice.

Narration by the self-effacing and honest Kaylan along with an over-the-top intro by Penn Jillette himself really makes this audiobook.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...