Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Review: The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story


The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story
The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story by Matt Bondurant

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I was drawn to this book by the movie, which I liked very much. Inevitably, I compare the two. The book flashes back and forth between and early and mid-30s. I am glad they didn't do that in the movie and confused why this Boudrant scion chose to do it in his admittedly imagined history. The author romanticized for him this family history over the impossible to find [b:The Great Moonshine Conspiracy Trial Of 1935|1731466|The Great Moonshine Conspiracy Trial Of 1935|T. Keister Greer|/assets/nocover/60x80.png|1728947] and other obscure histories. Some of the drama I am surprised did not make it to the film: like the bone-crunching long-rolling contest. The humanizing, figural whittling of Forrest Bondurant seems like another missed opprtunity. I liked discovering from the book the investigatory [a:Sherwood Anderson|45645|Sherwood Anderson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1206470009p2/45645.jpg] raised to the level of a main character. I found many of his short story collections are available at the moment for free for the Kindle, so I look forward to reading those, now.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...