Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: Software Project Survival Guide


Software Project Survival Guide
Software Project Survival Guide by Steve McConnell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I really enjoyed this, possibly the most concise and short of McConnell's software design and project management tomes. I found I labeled for reference many spots in this work: Customer's Bill of Rights, Survival Test Score (cf., Raleigh Model), a good overview of required elements of a software process around requirements. Among the points I found interesting was the research into the ineffeciency of open work bays vis-avis the need for continued focus by developers.

I also liked the broad view of vision documents and post mortems as this should be a broadly defined and controlled process, too. In there are such realistic caveats as "plan should not assume the team will work overtime" and support for scientific estimation processes and coding standards although I think he has left reality with "The best coding standards are .. less than 25 pages".



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...