Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Unzipped


Unzipped
Unzipped by Suzi Quatro

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I remember Suzi as Leather Tuscadero and, for some reason, never got into her music, even though I am an avid music fan. Well, at least I thought I hadn't I alwasy loved the Pleasure Seekers stuff, but part of my thought Suzi was too young for that, and that was her older sisters. This autobiogaphy permanently disabused me of that notion and contains the entire Pleasure Seekers story, which is a plus. On the minus side, there is a cutesy style of "Little Susie from Detroit" interjecting herself through italics into the story "Suzi" tells. This goes along with a girlis, new age, spiritual side she reveals. Who knew in those skin-tight leather jump suits was the spirit-sensing Doris Day of rock-n-roll? Well, so there isn't much of the sex and drugs part of rock-b-roll here, but this does help me see the place Quatro has in rock history - by taking the leather apparel from Elvis' '68 Comeback and touring the world becoming an acknowledged role model for Joan Jett she linked 50's rock with 60's-70's rock as a template for a bold woman that rocks hard. On the personal side, she goes into great detail on being a mother on the road, the collapse of her marraige to Len, and the death of her mother as well as family squabbles. I wasn't aware of her stage carreer ('Annie Get Your Gun', 'Tallulah Who') and that is here as well has her cameo entry into the world of "sound healing" (I told you, new age-y).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...