Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire


The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

My rating: 0 of 5 stars



This is the second time in my life reading this abridged edition - the same copy. This one still has page numbers in my childish hand on the inside front cover and my nonsensical highlights throughout.

Gibbons' facility of language and subjective enthusiasm for his task means this is a work that can be revisited in life. I hope to tackle the complete work this time.

Among the many charms, Gibbons can take us into the retirement of Diocletion to here is wisdom on governing from a lofty place: “How often, was he accustomed to say, is it the interest of four or five ministers to combine together to deceive their sovereign! Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations. He confers the most important offices upon vice and weakness, and disgraces the most virtuous and deserving among his subjects. By such infamous arts, added Diocletian, the best and wisest princes are sold to the venal corruption of their courtiers”. So says Sir Edward Gibbon in History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, and who am I to say Diocletian didn't say it!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...