Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography


Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography
Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography by David Michaelis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



For being a cartoonist (humorist), Charles Schulz was certainly a lonely, tragically withdrawn figure.

I agree with many that Peanuts lacked humor, but at least for me Charlie Brown and to a certain extent the others resonated with me as awkward types that didn't fit in. Also, the kid's eye-level view with the adults relegated to a verbally noisy existence out of the frame was, and is, cool and vaguely anti-establishhment. Charlie Brown's sad Xmas tree, the double stiff-armed stage dance in the same Xmas special and sulking in the pumpking patch I still remember fondly like Snoopy's WWI dreams, Lucy's crabby psychiatry and her vicious ball pranks and, well, I guess it worked for me then, I don't need to laugh now... I recommend reading the Schulz bio. He was an imperfect, unfair and philosophically regressive man that still was very innovative, impactful and even important, IMHO.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...