Saturday, August 18, 2012

Review: Bonfire of the Vanities


Bonfire of the Vanities
Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I don’t read much fiction, so it is hard not to compare this in my mind with American Psycho, both novels that offer commentary on empty ‘80s lives funded by Wall Street careers. It seems Wolfe and Ellis both explored vapid personae that emerged from these money-filled pools. Wolfe found a frailty there, a glass palace that could easily be shattered by chance and happenstance. Ellis explored the self-destruction of and destruction fantasized by an exaggerated amoral stereotype that could prosper unmoored from real work and purpose.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...