Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review: A Graphical Approach to College Algebra


A Graphical Approach to College Algebra
A Graphical Approach to College Algebra by John Hornsby

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Now that my OCC campus has retired this text, I can reflect back on teaching through it over a few years. I basically found this passable with notable awkward parts. For instance, Square Root Property is not admitted until half way through the text when it should be at beginning. Also, breaking up core material on systems of equations between chapters and appendices is schizophrenic.

Things I like include a focus on basic functions and transformations, basically the "graphical approach" in the title. This makes it convenient to highlight key connections between functions, their graphs, and set basis.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...